Flourish where you are planted.
Woke up this morning to the sound of an incoming sms. With drowsy eyes and the cool air and gentle breeze of Awana Genting and the sounds of chirping birds, I read the following words on my Iphone … “Good morning uncle pastor. Matthias here. Happy birthday!” I was pleasantly surprised! Then it dawned on me these guys have really grown up! And the wonderful thought is … they have grown up well. Matthias is evolving into a fine gentleman and with the gift of height, I am sure one day he will become one of the strong pillars in Vineyard! While somebody is gaining one more year, I have used up yet another one of mine. Whichever way you look at it, truth is we are now one year closer to the Rapture … and all because of me today! Far out!
A youth from church asked me recently in a “Ask Your Pastor” session if it is ok to change church. I was glad for the opportunity to be able to address the question. Most churches in Malaysia are averagely sized at a hundred with small youth groups. There are a couple of really big churches too but not too many. Big churches have big programs. Small churches have smaller programs. Whether big or small, they are the church of Jesus Christ at large and we are all members of the same Body. When we get to heaven God is not going to ask us for our resume. He’s not going to be bothered as to which church we came from, whether you are Assemblies of God, Vineyard, SIB, Calvary, whatever. What He will ask of you and me is whether we are faithful where He plants us. The key word here is FAITHFUL.
Human beings are basically prone to self centeredness. We do what we do because it’s what we WANT to do. Most people don’t care about what is right other than what they want. That’s why we have lots of Christians migrating from one church to another. They go where the “happenings” are. That’s easy to do because in their minds, all churches are the same. But the truth is far from it.
Take our physical body for example. It is one body yet made up of different parts, different organs. The eye is not the feet, and the lungs do not function like the brain. Each is unique and has its specific function even though it is part of a whole. I may not have what you have but I do need you. You may not be able to do what I can do, but we depend on each other. We are a link in the chain and each link is important. So the question … “Is it ok to change church?” Hmm… if there is a need and if it is properly done, I guess it’s ok. It is not a sin but what’s the motivation? Personally I think it’s ok to visit with other churches, participating in various programs like seminars, rallies, etc yet remaining faithful to your own church, to where God has planted you.
I have attended numerous conferences and special meetings held in other churches throughout the years but that have never caused me to love my own church less. I could change pastorate today if I want to but no, I’d rather flourish where God has planted me … here at Vineyard. I don’t want to be like the wheat that Jesus spoke of to Peter … swayed according to the wind, one moment here and next moment there. I want to be steadfast, faithful, flourishing where God has planted me. When I get to heaven, I want to be able to hear Jesus commend me saying, “well done good and faithful servant”. But that’s just me.
God measures us by our faithfulness towards Him. If I can be faithful where I am I can be faithful to my spouse, to anything or anywhere God wants me to be. If I can be faithful to small things, God will entrust me with bigger things. If you can be faithful to a rented house, God will eventually give you your own house. Do not despise your rented house for now. It’s only temporary. Faithfulness will get you to where you want to be. When you and I get to heaven, it’s not important what church we came from. What’s important is whether or not we am faithful where God has planted us. My advice, enjoy the fellowship of the Body of Christ but be faithful to where God has planted you.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home