Tuesday, September 02, 2008

The Fantastic Four and Roof Patchers!

If you had been in last Sunday's service, you would have heard me shared briefly on Mark 2 in relation to our Family Day event. It was(the Brits would say) a smashing success! I was especially impressed by the attitude that I see in each and everyone of you volunteers. You kept your joy throughout and all through the day I see people smiling, happy faces. Truly you are a "living epistle" of God! I did not see a single sour face, or heard any complaint. Even the crowd were cheerful! The whole atmosphere was so ... how shall I say it ... so heavenly like! I am sure God smiled on us that day 'cos right exactly at 3 o clock pm (the official closing time of the event) it rained! As your pastor, that day ... what I see ... I am proud of Vineyard! Praise God the privilege to be your pastor in Vineyard!

In any even the church organizes, I am always looking for the "Fantastic Four" and the "Roof Patchers". In Mark 2, when 4 men heard that Jesus was in town at a certain location, they thought about their paralyze friend at home. They decided they would do something. Long story short, they broke a hole in the roof in the house where Jesus was preaching. That was the only way they could get their sick friend into the house! Now, Jesus was not the least bothered by their actions. In fact, He marveled at their faith and immediately healed their paralyzed friend!

Who were they? Their names were not mentioned in the Bible except the mentioning of "four man". Well ... to me, they were the Fantastic Four! Here's 4 thing we can know about them.

1. They are men who seize the moment! They saw an opportunity and they took it! The moment they heard Jesus was in town they seized the opportunity to bring their needy friend to Jesus. Their efforts paid off!
2. They are men of compassion. If your heart is right you'll be surprised at the things you would do for someone else. Is your heart healthy today? Is the Blood of Jesus flowing through your heart?
3. They are men who's above self-centeredness. It wasn't about them. It was about their friend in need. See, most people do things for reasons of self. "I'll do it IF it makes me happy". "I'll do it IF I can spare the time". "I'll do it IF it benefits me ... if it seems right to me".
4. They are men who perseveres. Wasn't at all an easy task! The journey, the crowd. There must have been discouraging moments but when they see their friend, and the opportunity that presented itself, they just had to preserver no matter what.

I saw these "four men" that day at the Family Day. I know who these 4 men are. They are ... you and you and you.

What's interesting in Mark 2 is that after the party was over and everyone's gone home, who patched the hole in the roof? Jesus and His disciples had to go. Otherwise the crown wouldn't go. So He didn't do it. The healed man and his friends left after the healing because Jesus told them to go. The crowd couldn't be bothered. Not their house. So who did patch the hole in the roof? The butler did it! No ... of course not.

1. The owner did. It was his house. Wouldn't you if it was your own house? You know, in principle, there is power in ownership. Lots of times dreams don't come to pass. The moment there's a "hole on the roof" people don't care enough to fix it. Why? Because they don't "own" the dreams. They merely wish it. "Oh I wish that house was mine". When God gives you a dream, make it yours! Own it! As long as you know it's yours, you'll patch whatever holes. You'll be passionate. You'll protect it, nurture it. You'll work it and it will come to pass.
2. The "second-miler" did. After a party there's loads of things to do. Clean the dishes, mob the floor, empty the trash, etc. Well, you are the owner. You are the host. It's your job. But thank God for people who's willing to stay back when the party's over just lend a hand. They are tired but these "second milers" ... they are willing to walk the second mile! This is not about perseverance. This is about the heart. If you have a heart you'll walk the second mile for someone. You'd be willing to put aside your own inconveniences and extend yourself because you see a need and you know you can fill it.

The Fantastic Four! The Roof Patchers! Who are they? Where do you find them? Well, you find me one person who truly love God and His church, and I'll tell you, you've found him/her. We have a lot of these here at The Vineyard Church. You too can be one. The vacancy is always open. Why not you sign up and be the Fantastic Four or the Roof Patchers. Until the next event .... up ..up.. and away!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Load Counter