Thursday, November 27, 2008

Summer's gone.

My dog, Summer, passed on Monday 23 after spending 5 days at the Animal clinic. We all missed her. She's not the first dog I ever reared. I had Hotdog (a terrier). Then came Meatball (a pariah) and Summer (2003) a Jack Russel. For my children, Summer was their first pet dog. She's a very good dog. Wished she could have been with us couple more years but it's not so. Someone asked, "Why didn't God answer your prayers and heal Summer"? Let me share my thoughts.

If God were to answer every prayer in our favor, then I guess our eco systems will be out of balance! If God answers your prayer and saved all the seals, then the penguin population will be lesser and the fish food chain will be off balance 'cos these guys (seals) are carnivorous! If God answers your prayer and saved all the sharks in the oceans, then you and I will have to contend with not eating fish eventually 'cos these guys are predators. If God were to answer all your prayers, then there will be world peace, perfection and no need for heaven 'cos our planet will then be like heaven. If God were to answer all of our prayers, then there'll be no need for perseverance, for patience, for hard work. If God were to answer all our prayers, then hospitals will have to close down, insurance companies will have to wind up, and there's no need for research, for new discovery 'cos God can heal all sicknesses and diseases. If God were to answer all my prayers, then I guess I too will become ... god? ... 'cos every time I pray, I get what I want. That is IF God answers all my prayers.

Why would God answer our prayers? Do you think it would be wise on God's part to answer all our prayers because He has the power to do so? Would you give everything and anything your child wants just because you have the power and the resource to do so? You and I both know we WILL NOT! Unless we want our kids to end up being weak and useless and of no character. Let me ask again ... why would God answer all our prayers?

No doubt God love us. No doubt we are more important than the sparrows in the skies and the lilies by the valleys. No doubt there are things in our lives that are important, people we love and treasure with our lives, but does that give us the right to expect and demand that God answer our prayers in our favor? Summer may be precious to me but to you, she's just a dog. What may be important to us may not necessarily mean it is right for us and when God look upon our requests, He knows best how to go about fulfilling our desires. A mature heart and mind would say, "God, you know my desires. I am trusting you to do what's best for me. Whatever the outcome I will know that You have my best interest at heart". A weak and immature mind would think, "God if You don't answer my prayer I will never forgive You and serve you again". Which of these two do you think will find peace and be at rest?

I know we are all important to God. But what would happen if God does answer your prayers in your favor? Will it make you a better person? Will it glorify God? How many of us remember God after we had our favor? How many of us gave more to God when obviously we have much today compared to yesterday? Someone once said it's easier to give God 10% of our income if we make $1000 a month. But when you start making $10,000 a month, giving seems harder!

God made all things for His own glory! He made the universe, the stars, the planets. He made mankind but mankind is not the reason God made the universe! You exist for His glory and pleasure. He bless you for His glory and pleasure. Life is not about us. It's about God and His glory. Bottom line is ... IF I am not poised to glorify God in my life in any circumstance, then I don't qualify to receive an answered prayer because if life is all about me, then life is ... empty, meaningless, an abyss ... and life stinks!

Summer is gone. I hear Autumn is beautiful! Hmmm .....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Load Counter