Truly Worshipping
Hey I'm back from Sydney, Australia! It's been a rush ... rush ... trip! But we managed to have 3 relaxing days in Adelaide before landing on Malaysian soil last night. I forgot to post a notice here on my absence. My apologies but you already know, didn't you?
I want to write on the issue of WORSHIP today. This conference I attended was indeed an eye opener ... hmmm ... not in that way you are guessing now! See, lots of things are changing about us because of technology and internet. But not all changes are good, and certainly not all changes are necessary. But change what may, principles DO NOT change. That's why Jesus said, "Heavens and earth will pass away but my words will never pass away." (Matt. 24:35). Applying this thought to worship, my question is, has the change affected the true meaning of worship?
What is worship? If you take WORSHIP in the actual Biblical sense, worship is to ...
prostrate (reflex in homage to royalty or God; bow (self) down, crouch, fall down (flat); humbly beseech; do (make) obeisance, do reverence, made to stoop, worship. Basically it means to give reverence and honor to God by our humbling of self in physical manner such as bowing down, prostrate, etc. Today we have streamlined worship to singing and shouting and ... concerts! Let me explain.
The mindset of worship today is all about singing. Thus we pay much attention to musical instruments, styles, rhythms, vocalists, which of course evolve into music teams and bands. Marry that to lighting and visual effects, we evolve into concerts and conferences, and add in a touch of professionalism, worship becomes a product that's marketable. Somewhere in all these complexities, I think we are lost in worship! I mean, if you take out the complexities, strip away the instruments, etc, do we still know how to worship God? Without the expensive instruments, that cool looking song leader, the showmanship, the shouting and jumping, and flags, and tambourines, can we still feel the presence of God? I mean, truly? How much is entertainment and how much is actual worship? Hmmmm....
Today the mindset of worship is such that we lean heavily on instrumentation and technology. We hold a concert, sell tickets, and we call it worship. Now I am not saying that what we are doing is wrong. I am just wondering ... are we lost in worship? Have we made worship into a branding? A product? Have we discovered worship as it is supposed to be, today? Or are we truly lost somewhere along the way? I observe, most worship songs today is about us ... not Him although God is mentioned in the lyrics. It's about what I have become in God, not so much as about God. Call me old fashion but I love a song that focuses on who God is rather than on what I have become because of God.
Singing is an expression of my soul. Through my soul I express my happiness, my sadness, my love and devotion towards God in a song. It's like a Psalm of David. It's like poetry. But these are not necessarily worship. It's just my soul's expressions. But worship is beyond that. Worship is an expression of my spirit, for my spirit ... it is who I am! I don't need a musical instrument. I don't need a conducive environment. I don't need a song leader (that's cool looking). See when I think about God and how truly marvelous He is, I want to bow down before Him. My best worship experiences are not in church worship services or concerts (happy time). In fact, here and now, writing this article, I feel this urge within me to just .... love God. No, my CD is not playing. I don't have a guitar. It's just the thought of God that's causing my heart to swell up with love for Him and my soul just want to cry out "Abba Father." Yes, my most intense worshiping times is when I am alone and out of my spirit, my entire being just want to love Him, to humble myself before Him.
Back in the OT (Old Testament times) they have festivities and national celebrations in the name of God. The nation sang and danced and had a great time. But that is celebration in the name of God. It's different from worship. I think today we are more into celebration than into worship. So in this article I need for us to ask ourselves, ... are we lost in worship? When was the last time you bowed yourself before God? When was the last time you can say you have worshiped God "in spirit and in truth?" I am afraid there might come a day (maybe it's already here) where worship is but only a product created and engineered for the crowd who make believe they are actually worshiping God when in fact they are actually just having a jolly good time.
Worship is serious business. It is of the spirit of man. It's sacred and can only be experienced with a heart that is intimate with God and in deep communion with God. Anything else is just skin deep. Let me end with this caution from the Bible. In the last days (which is now), people want only to hear what their itching ears want to hear. I fear that worship in today's context is more about us and for us rather about God and for God. This here is just my thoughts.
Greater Him ...Lesser us.

1 Comments:
good article Pastor...
was it cold in Sydney?
=)
Post a Comment
<< Home