Monday, March 08, 2010

Grow Up!

I actually forgotten I have a blog! Ha..ha. Now that I remember, here's my recent thoughts for your edification.

What occupies the mind of Christians foremost, I suppose, is how God can bless them. Used to be in church that there was a time for testimonies and all you hear about is "How God has blessed ... answered my prayers .. provide for me financially, etc." Christians has this "Bless-me-God" mentality that I equate with being a baby Christian instead of a grown up. I am not saying that it's wrong want to be blessed, but if most of our praying time is occupied with our needs, I think there is a need to redefine salvation.

I don't really blame Christians for this "Bless-me-Lord" mentality. Whatever they have learned, they have been taught from behind the pulpit. Churches always seems to suggest to its members that life is tough but God is good. Then they preach about how God wants to bless them and how they can have a blessed life in God, how they can live in prosperity instead of poverty. I am sure God loves to bless us, but is that what it is about being a born again Christian? Is this the reason why God saved us? Just so that He can keep us blessed and happy? Well, if blessings and prosperity is all that it is for Christianity, then my prayer should be, "Take me home, Lord, TODAY." Think about it, in heaven there is absolutely no sorrow, no troubles, no injustice, no lack. It's a place of perfect bliss!

I don't believe it is God's "job" or intent to keep us happy, like this is the reason why He made mankind. Look at the initial creation of mankind .... Adam and Eve. God placed them in the Garden of Eden NOT just so they could laze around whole day doing nothing but just enjoying life. God didn't make the trees, the rivers, the gems and all things beautiful just so Adam and Eve can be happy.If that be truth, then it won't be long before both of them get bored and boredom usually always gets us into mischief and that can lead into wrong doings. No, after introducing Himself to Adam and Eve, God gave them a task. And that is, in a nutshell, "Work the Garden". God is a hardworking, creative God! He expects us to strife to be like Him and not just do nothing, like the movie "Love Boat". As we work, we discover not just ourselves, but also the Creator who made us! In fact, if you read the Bible, it was in the cool of the EVENING that God met up with Adam and Eve for fellowship! Rest of the day, it's "Work the Garden".

You know, churches make it so simple for Christians. We tell them God wants them to have a better life, that He made the gold and the silver for mankind. Christians therefore are after prosperity, thinking if they are not prospering then their faith is probably not working for them. The backlash ... "Bless me God" mentality. Again, I am not saying that it is wrong to ask God for blessings. What I am saying is that we need not put on this "God-bless-me" mentality 'cos if God can take care of the lilies of the fields, and the sparrows of the skies, don't you think He too can provide for us who is far more precious than the sparrows? What we should be concern about as Christians is not that that concern us. Like Jesus, we should be concern about minding "My Father's business".

I don't see Jesus every praying for His sustenance or His own happiness and prosperity. I don't see Him trying to build bigger barns or living a life of prosperity. By example, He taught us not to be like the heathen who bother themselves with all these things, about surviving, getting rich. No, that won't bring us happiness. What it does, it brings us much sorrow. What brings us real joy, what brings us real meaning in the things we do, what truly matters are things that pertain to the Kingdom of God. We need to take the focus off ourselves and grow up! Life is bigger than us. If you are blessed with everything your heart desires for yourself, what then?

Our theme this year "Greater Him, Lesser us" says it all. It's time to grow up. Life is not just about me and what I can get for myself. Life is about the Kingdom of God. And let me caution you, God's kingdom ... it's an "Upside-Down" kingdom. God bless.

P.S. Life is not a vacation. Work the Garden!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Load Counter