Friday, July 16, 2010

What's In Me?

What is in you? Rather vague question huh? But heavy stuff if you answer correctly. And if you “get the right answer” that gets heavier for the next question I am asking is … what are you going to do about it?

What am I? Jackie Chan asked himself the question “Who am I?” in his movie Who Am I. But today I am asking … what am I? Many of us do not bother ourselves with these questions. We just live life routinely, trying and hoping for the best along the way. A prince born is expected to be the next king but I wonder if it has ever dawn upon the prince to ask why he has to be king? Or I wonder if he has ever asked himself the question as to why he wanted to be king? It’s just … expected!
What am I? Well, I am a fruit. I am a fruit of the Kingdom of God that was introduced into my life some 34 years ago when someone shared with me the gospel of the Kingdom of God. That person bore fruit and I am it. Along the way I too bore some fruits. Maybe you are one of “my” fruits! So what about a fruit? Here’s a million dollar question … what’s the most important thing about a fruit?

THE SEED!!!

Seed of the next generation! Christ in us is the seed of the future generations of the church! We all carry the seeds of the next generation of Christ followers. But here’s the thing … we need to PLANT those seeds! The fruit is nice but the core essence of the fruit is the seed. Being a Christian is nice, but the core essence of our existence is to plant Jesus in the lives of others. This is where we missed it. We focus only on the fruit like it’s the obvious. But that which is hidden is that which really matters! When the fruit is gone, the seeds carry on to the next generation. Man, do you dig it?

When you think fruits, you think about preservation, packaging, production, advertising, export. You give little or no attention to the seeds. In fact, with genetic engineering today, we have seedless fruits, literally cutting off future generations of trees. Are we so into fruits today that we have forgotten about the seeds? Are we just content with self growth, self gain that we have failed to see the purpose of Christ dying on the cross for us? If living a good life is what Christianity is all about then it doesn’t do justice to the sacrifice of Christ. He did not die for us just so that we can live a better life. He did not die for us for the sake of our prosperity. He died for us so that we can live for Him. Your true mission as a person and as a Christian is to take that seed and plant it wherever the Kings lead us.

And here’s the thing …

(John 12:24) I tell you the truth, unless a kernel of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains only a single seed. But if it dies, it produces many seeds.

Our Christian walk is a process of “dying”. Dying to the old and embracing the new. Dying to the flesh and yielding to the Spirit. It is only when we die to self that the seeds of God’s kingdom in us can be released. It costs but it’s the only way. So let us remind ourselves once again of our theme … Greater Him, lesser us. Life here is primarily not about us. It’s about God. The fruit is important but the seed is vital. What’s in me is the light of this world and the salt of this earth. Not me, but Christ in me. IF all Christians in the world were suddenly killed off or abducted by aliens and only one little Christian girl was left behind, she would have all that is necessary for God to start the entire Christian movement from her alone. The power of the Kingdom of God is in Christ who is within us.

What’s in me? The seed of the Kingdom of God. Who am I? A Kingdom planter. As we plant Jesus in the lives of others, let’s also watch it grow. The beautiful by product … the glorious church of Jesus Christ.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Load Counter