"Breeds like Rabbits"
If we want to build a MEGA church, what major effort would we need to put in? MONEY and MANPOWER! On a personal level, would YOU be able to build a mega church? Or how about a micro church? And by that I meant simple church of 2 or 3 persons? Or maybe a house church of 15?
I think you and I are on the same page. It is much easier to build a micro church than a mega church. But a micro church is small. Aren't we supposed to think BIG? After all, our God is a BIG God and there are lost souls yet to be saved! Couldn't agree with you more. Problem is, our philosophy is wrong and it needs adjusting. As a matter of Biblical principle, the way to bigness is to through the path of smallness. In other words, small is big. Let me explain.
I read with interest the synopsis of the book “The Rabbit and the Elephant” by Tony and Felicity Dale. They began by asking … “If you put two huge elephant (male and female) in a room, give them plenty to eat and drink and shut the door on them. Three years later you open the door and what comes out? Three elephants! But if you put two rabbits in the room with plenty of food and drink, shut the door on them and three years later open the door, what comes out? Millions of rabbits will explode out of that room!
Elephants take a long time to reach maturity and have a long gestation period. It takes time to reproduce a single elephant. Rabbits, on the other hand, are extremely fertile all the time. They reach maturity in four to six months, and their gestation period is a mere thirty days. Hence the expression “breed like rabbits.” A mega church is like an elephant. It is easily visible and dominates the landscape but something that is large and complex is kinda hard to reproduce. But something that is small and simple multiplies easily. And in the long run, collectively it becomes something BIG while remaining small! Paradox? I think it's simply TRUTH.
For years I am trying to build Vineyard into a big church. Looking back, I am doing it backward! So beginning next year, I am going to build a big church in small ways. If you can work with me, together we can build micro churches. This is the way Jesus orchestrated it. Hop along with me for the ride of your life! Let's build church Jesus' way! It may not be glamorous but it will be powerful and effective. Are you game?

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home